Sunday, September 2, 2012

Chinese Ink and Modern Applications

So I believe I mentioned learning how to do some Chinese and Indian ink work and painting. I finally got off my lazy bum and documented some of the results. As always, click to expand.



Some rather poor bamboo. I have better ones somewhere, mostly in piles of messy sketches and in my notebook. These two get the form wrong, and I was still learning to handle the ink.


Orchid leaves, blowing in a spring wind. I also learned to do the blossoms, but again I seem to have misplaced them or used them for blotters.


A bit of a mix here. Traditional chrysanthemum styles and a skull from my sketchbook. I've put this one up before, but I believe this is a better copy. Maybe.







A variety of ways to paint a plum blossom branch. These were some of my favorite things to paint, the old gnarled gentlemen.



A painting based off of a traditional Chinese story, using a combination of Chinese and Indian idioms, as my my teachers referred to the patterns or practiced ways of making a form. The lake and various highlights are done in a silver guache. The piece has gotten a bit wrinkled in the painting/mounting/painting, so I am going to attempt some techniques I've researched usually used for flattening out watercolors. I will document the process when I do and post the results here. I'm hoping for the best.




Some shots of the reflective surface. This includes the water, blossoms, and accents on the clouds.


And this ridiculous collage. An exercise that I am still divided about. I like parts of it, whenever I dig down into it... but the overall... eh...

No comments:

Post a Comment