Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Here are some more links I found. This may or may not be better and or worse than my prior posts. My life has been pretty hectic of late, and I'm doing my best to manage it all.

Scott Pasfield's work deals with gay men in America, and he spent many months and many miles documenting gay men in every state. While pretty much unrelated, it still makes me think about Forrest's work a little.

Here is a Daily Mail article about a photographer who stayed submerged in an African watering hole for three months to get shots of the wildlife. The photographer ended up catching Bilharzia, multiple cases of malaria, and several kinds of parasites, but he believes it was well worth it.


Here is a set of photos taken in New York in the seventies, and recently scanned and uploaded to Flickr. Alternately, here is a set of photos shot recently, but made to look like older photographs, usually from the fifties. For some reason this latter set reminds me a little of our current photo project.

Going even further back, here are some color photos from 1880's Japan.


Here are the winners from the 2009 National Wildlife Federation Photo contest, and the winners of the World Press Photo of the Year Contest 2009.

Brooke Shaden posted an interesting exposition about planning photographs for a square composition - and working out, not cropping in.


Polaroid is releasing a new instant film camera.

I remember during the critique having a quick talk with Forrest about why students seldom used photoshop and photocompositing in their work. I told him, I thought it was our rebellion against a rising generation of people who immediately pick out computer edited work, and sort of part of the huge debate about what "counts" as photography. Here are some interesting links related specifically to this topic: An article from the guardian, a digital "dissection" of a Victoria's Secret image (which I find fascinating), and a New York Time's commentary.

No comments:

Post a Comment