Thursday, August 2, 2012

Link Parade


This image took years to make - a long exposure shot of the Museum of Modern Art in New York, in fact the longest in known history at 34 months, created by Michael Wesely. More info can be found at itchy i, whom went out of their way to contact the artist themselves after their blog entry gained such quick popularity. Hmm, should I be jealous?

Thomas Jackson creates surreal images in which common objects seem to take on the qualities of flocks of birds or schools of fish. He also has a fondness for robots.


This is a piece by tattoo salon Needles Side, in France. Their photo gallery is full of delightful modernist work. I must say I am appreciating this current trend in body art and it seems I am seeing more and more artists taking to it.



What can I say? Martin Klimas likes to freeze time - flying birds, shattering sculptures, paint splatters - to grand effect. A google image search brings up even more of his work, for the interested.



This video is amazing. Watch it.


So I think, if you've been following my work, you might understand my attraction to this picture. It was done by the spectacular Keith Thompson. This is the sort of work that got me started on art in the first place.


Rotganzen, an art collective based in Rotterdam.

The Telegraph wrote an interesting article about the art-addicted collector couple the Vogels and their recent donation to the National Museum of Art in Washington.

The New York Times, on the hand, addresses the problem of an inherited Rauschenberg that is actually illegal to sell - and yet is being chased for $29 million in taxes.

In the middle of a Texas desert stands what seems to be an empty Prada store. In actuality, it's an art installation known as the "Prada Marfa".

How to make your own clay.


A stop-motion film about... making guacamole. Just watch it.



In case the last one was not "artsy" enough.



And how about... Underwater Zombie Frog Ballet?


This image was stitched together from eleven images - more info here.



Another video, this one about a film in progress involving two people and ten years time.



Vally Nomidou creates rather luscious sculptures using only one medium - paper. She compares the art and process to "self-healing".



Speaking of paper art, Eric Standley makes elaborate and delicate papercraft mandala type structures, resembling stained glass or cathedral walls from a distance, but when approached reveal the depth of their layered structures.

For an interesting trip into the past check out New York Time's aptly names Lively Morgue blog, where they highlight photos from throughout their long run, revealing the breadth of their archives

This blog post goes over a slew of contemporary hyper-realist sculptors, some of which I have mentioned here. Just in case, I don't know, you get them confused sometimes. I am surprised there was no mention of master wood artist Bruno Walporth.

A Condemned House Explodes Onto the Streets of Austin wood installation Austin art architecture


"The Purge" by Chris Whiteburch. Find out what exactly this is here. It reminds me of Alicia Martin's piece in Spain in which 5,000 books pour out of an upstairs window.



"I am standing in a flour storm. I have a carrot nose."


Yury Pustovoy. I wish I could tell you more.



This piece, and others like it, are made by artist Amanda McCavour using thread and fabric which dissolves in water. They seem ready to unravel at any moment, disguising their true durability.

If you are up for more videos you can check out this interview by one of my favorite artists, Diana Al-Hadid.

Vice Guide writes a particularly scathing commentary on Tracy Emin's retrospective, and about the current state of the art world.

Pierre David made some rather unique paint samples - using human skin. Not as morbid as it may sound.



East meets West in this adaptation of a traditional scroll (Guo-Xi's Early Spring) as if done by Van Gogh via artist Zhang Hongtu.


Klaus Pichler's "One Third" is simply stellar. The series deals with food waste and globalized food markets; I would love to know where the photography ends and the photoshop begins.



I do love sculptures that move (probably linked to an early interest in robotics). Tim Lewis certainly brings it. Here is a video of the above, "Pony", in motion.



I wish I could remember where I found this. My sleuthing is doing me no good tonight either.

Good art doesn't just come from the well established. Here are some up and coming talents, Kyle Thompson and Nicolas Bruno.



Chelsey Tyler Wood does the best paintings of people in boxes around. Interestingly, they have also been turned into three dimensional objects to further complete the illusion



ESPN actually did something I can really appreciate with these amazing photos of athletes in the buff. For more interesting images of the athletic body, check out this photoshoot which shows the various shapes of fit.

No comments:

Post a Comment