Friday, January 13, 2012

Link Parade

Ah yes, a new year has begun and spring is in the air. My break is over and its time to get back to work. Anyone excited about new up and coming pieces? Of course you are. I can see it in your eyes.

However, you shall have to wait. For now, you can look at some other snippets, new and old, and sate your hunger for art.


To start I give you Riusuke Fukahori. If you only look at one link in this blog, let it be this one. Riusuke uses a technique that involves alternating applications of paint and resin, building up 3-D impressions of fish and their environs. Just incredible. Watch the video.

I am really really digging the work of Drew Young.

A mysterious unknown artist is leaving elaborate sculptures made of books in libraries across Scotland. Simply fantastic.

Jólan van der Wiel uses metal fillings and melted plastic to create furniture by pulling up the legs with heavy magnets. You can see a nice video about them here.

Zander Olsen created a work I absolutely adore called Tree Line. I can't for the life of me, however, find evidence of anything else he has done.

Tyree Callahan made a type writer that, well, types paintings. They read as sort of abstract, misty landscapes. Be sure to check out the rest of West Collects while you are there.

WebUrbanist has a great post about art in abandoned places. I especially like the work of Marjan Teeuwen, but her site is fairly indecipherable.

Is digital art accepted yet? No? Ok. Anyway, Michal Lisowski.

Speaking of digital, where is that line that divides commercial art and illustration with fine art. I know of many artists who freely walk back and forth, while students are often frowned at in some crowds when their work looks too like something you would see in a mall or billboard. A point to discuss.

I have never much cared for furniture, but I really enjoy Vivian Chiu.

A work by German street artist, Tasso

Irina Werning does some masterful replication of old photos and family snapshots.

Kate Kretz is a multi-media artist who works with a lot of "traditional" media for women - embroidery and sewing - as well as painting. Don't let this throw you off though, her work is top notch, and I am guiltily digging the vagina dentata purse.

Gavin Worth creates some really elegant wire sculptures, as well as other constructs and designs.

Every two years in Bregenz, Austria, they construct a stage for performances that floats in the lake next to the city. They are always amazing. Check some out here.

I've always enjoyed the work of Kehinde Wiley, just as I always forget his name when I wish to bring him up in conversation.

I was going to talk about Bob Verschueren, but his website is absolutely intolerable. I'm serious, I'm not linking it.

I know that set building and miniatures is sort of en vogue right now, but I really enjoy the work of Frank Kunert. It's realistic enough that people often mistake his set photographs as real places.

Ola Harström

So. A 6-foot long camera that uses x-ray film for the image. That's pretty cool I guess.

Regine Ramsier used a special treatment to freeze dandelion bulbs in place to create this stunning installation.

The winners of the 2011 National Geographic Photo Contest.

This artist uses high speed photography to capture water droplets, nothing too unusual nowadays, but his flickr set also contains photos of the setups he uses to make the images. Certainly worth a look.

No comments:

Post a Comment