Tuesday, June 14, 2011

They say art is suffering, right?



This links to an album in Picasa. Not sure if I like the service or not yet, we will see. I never got around to making proper scans of this series, and I am sure a lot of you have seen them before - just, with much worse quality. This is a set I did for my Drawing II final. It deals with my genetic condition, Fibromyalgia, which I have here anthropomorphized with the plague doctor characters. I didn't want pity, rather I was seeking to express the best I could something that most people could not see or understand. I don't know why I chose to make 20 self portraits at this particular point in my life, with the shape I am in, but then again, maybe that's why I did it at all.

One thing you can't get a good idea of is how they look altogether, unfortunately, with their mismatched colors and occasionally frayed edges. All of the paper was stained by hand using various methods, and the whole thing really pops when hung up nice and pretty.

1 comment:

  1. I've been waiting for good scans of these - very nice stuff

    ReplyDelete