Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Sleep is a talent I never had, anyway

I actually am doing rather well for how little sleep I got last night. I stayed up all night making ink drawings on rice paper to use for my current project. Which is largely photo based. Go figure.

Anyway, in a gross misuse of technology I was using my Cintiq monitor as a lightboard of sorts. It worked surprisingly well, and the ink was rendered harmless by a coating of saran wrap. Felt or similar fabric is generally more preferable as a working surface for ink on rice paper, as it readily soaks up the excess, but one does what they must. The rice paper was too thick for highly detailed transfers, so I mostly just marked down the more key elements and shadows, filling in the details using those reference points. It worked well enough and it certainly didn't hurt that I was going for a relatively wet and grungy feel to begin with.

I really wish I had, at some point, taken pictures of the endeavor. The thought did occur to me at times, but I was always too preoccupied with making the images. And also hoisting a monitor sideways on my lap (inconvenient when I accidentally clicked the side buttons every now and then).

This is really the reason I stayed up so late, the preoccupation that is. I was totally in the zone, and was thoroughly convinced that I was wide awake and it was simply the best idea to see it through as I was producing work that I was happy with. This lasted until I was done, when I was immediately assaulted by a wave of exhaustion and was staring down only a couple hours of time for sleeping.

So it goes.


I end with a teaser about the project I mentioned above. That photo surely must be the penultimate achievement of my artistic career, don't you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment