Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Effigy of Agony

Ladies and gentlemen, I present the culmination of a many months work of work, successes and failures. These turned out so much better than I could have possibly hoped, and I am thoroughly pleased with the results.

After a huge setback with the printing of the metal plates, I was forlorn and depressed. The emulsion had failed, or some other part of the process had gone awry. I resigned myself to scan the failures and make the best of what I had to work with, creating digital composites. It took some time to get around to it, and meanwhile the plates continued to react chemically, as I had not bothered to fix them for the full length needed as I knew they were not viable. It's a good thing I didn't. The texture and discoloration are exactly what was needed.

Effigy of Agony


On a side note, sorry for the lack of posts recently, the last few weeks have been ridiculously busy. I will hopefully do better in the coming days. But really, you should all just be happy with all the new work I've been sharing. I mean really.

1 comment:

  1. I do hope you make/acquire a mannequin head so you can display the mask along with the prints/plates. That mask is fantastic and it would be a shame if viewers did not realise that you made it by hand.
    PS: That chair must have seen many things in its days, but never this. Way to rock its tired old bones.

    ReplyDelete